Disability: Medical Examinations

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 11th July 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Kevin Brennan Kevin Brennan Shadow Minister (Digital, Culture, Media and Sport) (Arts and Heritage)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what specific qualifications are required to operate as a disability assessor for her Department.

Photo of Justin Tomlinson Justin Tomlinson The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

Health Professionals that carry out Work Capability and Personal Independence Payment assessments on behalf of the department must have the following qualifications and experience:

  • are an occupational therapist, nurse, physiotherapist, doctor (or paramedic - PIP only)
  • fully registered with the relevant licensing body (doctors must have a licence to practise)
  • the licensing body has not placed any sanctions on the health professional's registration
  • at least 2 years post full registration experience or less than 2 years post full registration experience by specific agreement with the department.

Health Professionals are subject to a rigorous recruitment process followed by a comprehensive training programme in disability assessment for both physical and mental health conditions and have to be approved by the department. Health Professionals are then required to complete a programme of continuing professional development.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No7 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.