Agoraphobia: Mental Health Services

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 9th July 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mike Amesbury Mike Amesbury Shadow Minister (Work and Pensions) (Employment)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what support his Department provides to help people with agoraphobia to live independently.

Photo of Jackie Doyle-Price Jackie Doyle-Price The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Health and Social Care

There are a range of options available to help people manage their agoraphobia. The National Health Service website provides information and advice on a range of mental health matters, including panic disorder, and provides access to digital applications through the NHS Apps Library that can support people.

Lifestyle changes and self-help techniques may help, including taking regular exercise, eating more healthily, and avoiding alcohol, drugs and drinks that contain caffeine. Medication may be recommended by a general practitioner if these are not effective.

Through the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies programme, people with agoraphobia can also refer themselves directly for psychological therapies, including cognitive behavioural therapy.

In severe cases of agoraphobia, medication may be used in combination with other types of treatment, such as psychological therapies and relaxation therapy.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.