Tibet: British Nationals Abroad

Foreign and Commonwealth Office written question – answered on 9th July 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tim Loughton Tim Loughton Conservative, East Worthing and Shoreham

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what restrictions have been placed on British tourists and officials who have been granted access to the Tibet Autonomous Region in recent years.

Photo of Andrew Murrison Andrew Murrison Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development)

When officials have visited the Tibet Adiminstation Region (TAR) in recent years, these visits have followed a formal programme organised by the Chinese authorities. Foreign and Commonwealth Office Travel Advice describes the restrictions on tourist visits to the TAR. It notes that tourists can only travel to the TAR on an organised tour and must get a permit in advance through a specialised travel agent in China. It goes on to note that Chinese authorities sometimes stop issuing these without notice.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.