Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government: Credit Unions

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 9th July 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Gareth Thomas Gareth Thomas Party Chair, Co-operative Party

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, whether his Department offers employees a payroll deduction service to enable staff to join a credit union; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Jake Berry Jake Berry Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Housing, Communities and Local Government), Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy)

The Department is aware that there are a number of credit union schemes on offer and that some departments have chosen to offer this facility through payroll. For a number of reasons, not least the administrative issue when employees leave the civil service or move between departments, we have decided not to pursue this benefit. We do however encourage MHCLG employees to make use of other Civil Service wide opportunities such as the Charity for Civil ServantsMoney Matters’ service and the Department’s Employee Assistance provider who are available to aid in financial management and provide advice where required.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.