Cannabis: Medical Treatments

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 27th June 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tonia Antoniazzi Tonia Antoniazzi Labour, Gower

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, whether patients whose prescription for a cannabis-based medical product is blocked by an NHS trust can appeal that decision.

Photo of Seema Kennedy Seema Kennedy The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Health and Social Care

In line with routine clinical practice patients wishing to seek a second opinion will be supported to do so. In the first instance clinicians should refer patients for a second opinion using their established protocols. If it is not possible to obtain a second or further opinion using established protocols then National Health Service trusts are instructed to contact their NHS England Regional Medical Director who will be able to offer further advice around a referral route. The NHS England Regional Medical Directors will support NHS trusts in identifying a suitable NHS specialist for a second opinion. Processes may differ in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.