Shared Housing: Utilities

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 24th June 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Rushanara Ali Rushanara Ali Labour, Bethnal Green and Bow

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, whether the Valuation Office Agency makes a deduction for (a) water and (b) fuel from the advertised rent for a room in shared accommodation when calculating the 30 per centile of the shared accommodation rate in each broad rental market area.

Photo of Will Quince Will Quince The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

The Rent Officers (Housing Benefit Functions) Order 1997 instructs Rent Officers how to compile the list of rents used in the calculation of local housing allowance rates (including the shared accommodation rate) and the 30th percentile of local rents for each broad rental market area. In compiling the list of rents, Rent Officers must exclude the amount of any rent which in the Rent Officer’s opinion is attributable to provision of services or facilities made available to the tenant which are ineligible to be met by Housing Benefit.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.