Fertilisers: Safety

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 24th June 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of David Simpson David Simpson Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs), Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what steps her Department is taking to advise farmers on safety measures when spreading fertiliser.

Photo of Justin Tomlinson Justin Tomlinson The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has responsibility for the regulation of health and safety standards on Great Britain’s farms. Fertiliser is typically spread with machinery which is mounted or trailed behind tractors and powered by the tractor’s power take-off (PTO) drive shaft. HSE has published guidance on how to safely use machinery of this type, this includes safe use of tractors, safe use of work equipment, machinery maintenance and working on slopes, all of which is available from the HSE website at http://www.hse.gov.uk/agriculture/index.htm .

HSE also works with the farming industry through the Farm Safety Partnerships to promote vehicle and machinery safety messages, including those relevant to fertiliser spreading.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.