European Parliament: Elections

Cabinet Office written question – answered on 10th June 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Catherine West Catherine West Labour, Hornsey and Wood Green

To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, whether he has had discussions with electoral registration officers on the UC1/EC6 process since the 25 April 2019 Urgent Question on Electoral Registration: EU Citizens.

Photo of Kevin Foster Kevin Foster Assistant Whip, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Wales, The Parliamentary Secretary, Cabinet Office

Government officials worked closely with Returning Officers and the Electoral Commission and

other agencies such as the Society of Local Authority Chief Executives (SOLACE) and the

Association of Electoral Administrators (AEA) to support the smooth running of the polls on 23


Electoral Registration Officers (EROs) are under a statutory duty to ensure people who are eligible

to vote in elections have the opportunity to do so. For the recent European Parliamentary elections

that included making sure relevant citizens of the EU who are resident in the UK and registered to

vote in local elections were made aware they needed to complete a voter registration and

declaration form (commonly referred to as a UC1 or EC6 form) in order to enable them to vote

The Electoral Commission supported EROs in the discharge of this function and encouraged them

to take additional steps to raise awareness of this requirement locally, through social media

channels and other means.

The Electoral Commission supported EROs in the discharge of this function. It issued guidance on

the 4th April which recommended that EROs should identify EU citizens who are on the local

government register and send them a declaration form and supporting information explaining how

they can declare their intent to vote in these elections in the UK should they wish to.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.