Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Schools: West Midlands

Department for Education written question – answered on 11th June 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Julian Knight Julian Knight Conservative, Solihull

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what steps his Department is taking to increase the number of good school places in (a) Solihull and (b) the West Midlands; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Nick Gibb Nick Gibb Minister of State (Education)

The Department has committed £7 billion between 2015-21 to deliver new school places, on top of investment in the free schools programme. The Department is on track to create 1 million places this decade, the largest increase in school capacity in at least two generations.

The West Midlands has been allocated £950.1 million to create new places from 2011-2021 and of this, Solihull has been allocated £28.2 million. Compared to 2010, there are now 1,762 more school places in Solihull and 85,177 more school places in the West Midlands region. As of December 2018, there are 5,559 more pupils in good or outstanding schools in Solihull and 250,227 more pupils in good or outstanding schools in the West Midlands region than in 2010.

As of 3 June 2019, there are 44 open free schools and six University Technical Colleges (UTCs) in the West Midlands. The Department has approved a further 24 free schools from groups it is now working with to establish these schools. In Solihull, there is one open free school and one open UTC. In addition to these, the Department will run competitions to find strong providers to open and run two alternative provision schools along with three special schools in the West Midlands, with one of these special schools being located in Solihull.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.