Cannabis: Medical Treatments

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 5th June 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Ian Austin Ian Austin Independent, Dudley North

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, with reference to his oral contribution of 8 April 2019, Official Report, column 36, what the timetable is for making available a public register of specialist clinicians who can prescribe cannabis-based medicines.

Photo of Seema Kennedy Seema Kennedy The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Health and Social Care

The law provides that specialist clinicians on the General Medical Council’s ‘Specialist Register’ can prescribe cannabis-based products for medicinal use, where clinically appropriate and in the best interest of patients.

A general practitioner (GP) may make a referral to a specialist clinician on the General Medical Council’s ‘Specialist Register’ once the patient reaches the appropriate point in their treatment pathway.

A list of Registered Medical Practitioners, including specialist clinicians, is available at the following link:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.