Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

High Speed 2 Railway Line: Compensation

Department for Transport written question – answered on 20th May 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Keir Starmer Keir Starmer Shadow Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, with reference to paragraph 215 of the report of the House of Lords Select Committee on the High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill, whether the Prolonged Disturbance Compensation Scheme will include the recommendation that households threatened by construction noise will be entitled to noise insulation as if they were within 120 metres of the line of route in an area where the Rural Support Zone applies.

Photo of Nusrat Ghani Nusrat Ghani Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport), Assistant Whip (HM Treasury)

The provision of noise insulation for those affected by high levels of noise over prolonged periods as a result of construction follows well established practice on major projects and applies to dwellings in both rural and urban areas. That practice is included in HS2 Ltd’s Code of Construction Practice and other commitments made through the Parliamentary process.

The Prolonged Disruption Compensation Scheme will allow affected households to opt for compensation as an alternative to being temporarily rehoused when particularly high noise levels are experienced over prolonged periods as a result of construction. In certain circumstances the scheme will allow owner occupiers to request the Secretary of State to purchase their property.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No3 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.