Flood Control

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 14th May 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chris Ruane Chris Ruane Shadow Minister (Wales)

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what steps he is taking to improve the resilience of (a) homes and (b) businesses against flooding.

Photo of Therese Coffey Therese Coffey The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

This is a devolved matter and the information provided therefore relates to England only.

In England, we are working with the commercial and technical sectors through a business led Property Flood Resilience Roundtable, to increase the uptake of flood resilience approaches (recoverability and resistance), both by homes and businesses, in areas at risk of flooding.

Flood Re was established in 2016 to help improve the affordability and availability of Flood Insurance for homes at high risk of flooding across the whole of the UK (including Wales). Flood Re is required to take action to help the flood insurance market transition to one that is risk reflective by 2039. This includes exploring ways in which Flood Re can help improve the uptake of flood resilience measures in homes at risk of flooding.

Our investment programme will better protect at least 300,000 homes from the risk of all flooding and coastal erosion by 2020/21. Up to 60,000 commercial properties have also benefited from better protection thanks to these schemes.

Property Flood Resistance schemes are eligible for GIA and are used where it is technically or financially difficult to use other mechanisms and for residual risk to increase the level of protection from an asset.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.