Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Immigrants: France

Home Office written question – answered on 22nd May 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Hylton Lord Hylton Crossbench

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether, in cooperation with the government of France, they will seek to widen the terms of reference of the Joint Coordination and Information Centre from exclusive concern with national security and criminality to include the well-being of displaced people sleeping in northern France and the restriction of violent and brutal police behaviour.

Photo of Baroness Williams of Trafford Baroness Williams of Trafford The Minister of State, Home Department, Minister for Equalities (Department for International Development)

The opening of the Joint Centre for Information and Coordination (CCIC) forms part of the commitments of the Sandhurst Treaty, signed by the Prime Minister and President Macron in January 2018. The Sandhurst Treaty is a bilateral agreement between the UK and France which reinforces the commitment of both sides to work together on border security issues.

Under the CCIC, Border Force work closely alongside Police Aux Frontieres in a 24/7 operation to:

  • Assist with preventing illegal attempts to cross the shared border
  • Facilitate the circulation of information between UK and French agencies to combat cross-border criminality
  • Work on the prevention of threats to public order on cross-border infrastructure
  • Provide analysis of cross-channel traffic flows

The CCIC also helps with the identification, prosecution and dismantling of criminal gangs involved in people smuggling and wider cross border crime.

There are currently no plans to widen the remit and responsibilities of the CCIC, however its performance and remit are regularly reviewed.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.