We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Children's Rights: Travellers

Department for Education written question – answered on 15th May 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Baroness Whitaker Baroness Whitaker Labour

To ask Her Majesty's Government what steps they will take to address the findings in the Children’s Rights Alliance for England report on the State of Children’s Rights in England in 2018, in particular in respect of the proportion of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller children deprived in three or more dimensions of deprivation compared to the proportion of all other children.

Photo of Lord Agnew of Oulton Lord Agnew of Oulton The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

The government welcomes this report and we will continue to work with the Children’s Rights Alliance for England through the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child Action Group to promote the importance of children’s rights across the government.

Through the pupil premium, we are addressing low economic circumstances, which affects a high proportion of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller children. We have provided over £15 billion in pupil premium funding from April 2011 to March 2019 to help schools improve the progress and attainment of their disadvantaged pupils.

We are also focusing specifically on Gypsy, Roma and Travellers through a number of initiatives, including working with the communities in Opportunity Areas and prioritising Gypsy, Roma and Traveller young people in our £1.7 million investment in careers provision for disadvantaged young people. I am also very grateful to the noble Baroness Whitaker for chairing a new stakeholder group for my department aimed at ensuring that improvements to the whole school system take into account Gypsy, Roma and Traveller pupil needs.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.