Care Homes

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 1st May 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Vernon Coaker Vernon Coaker Labour, Gedling

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what advice his Department provides to care homes on the use of funded nursing care payments for the fee charged to self-funded residents; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Caroline Dinenage Caroline Dinenage Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

Guidance regarding the NHS-funded Nursing Care rate and a care home resident’s overall care fees, can be found in the National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care.

This makes clear that the care home provider should set an overall fee level for the provision of care and accommodation, which should include any registered nursing care provided by them. If an individual is eligible for NHS-funded Nursing Care the clinical commissioning group will pay the NHS-funded Nursing Care rate direct to the care home, unless there is an agreement in place for this to be paid via a third party (e.g. a local authority). The balance of the fee will then be paid by the individual, their representative or the local authority unless other contracting arrangements have been agreed.

Contracts between individuals and/or local authorities, with providers, should have terms and conditions which are transparent and fair, including setting out what happens if a resident is admitted to hospital or what happens if a resident dies.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.