Domestic Abuse: Foreign Nationals

Home Office written question – answered on 29th April 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Paul Farrelly Paul Farrelly Labour, Newcastle-under-Lyme

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps he is taking to ensure that non-British domestic abuse victims residing in the UK are supported by the authorities.

Photo of Caroline Nokes Caroline Nokes The Minister for Immigration

This Government is committed to transforming the response to domestic abuse.

Victims of domestic abuse are treated first and foremost as victims. Non -British victims residing in the UK are able to apply for support from authorities, many of whom will have statutory obligations to support victims.

For individuals in the UK who are married, or partners of, British or settled sponsors and who claim to be victims of abuse, there is the option of applying for immediate crisis support under the Destitute Domestic Violence Concession (DDVC).

In addition, funding has been made available to support a range of support networks. In March, a further £1,090,000 was made available specifically to be used to provide safe accommodation, and other support functions.

We are not complacent about our responses to domestic abuse. We strive to see what more can be done. The new Domestic Abuse Bill will be the platform for delivering changes to support victims and will enable victims to have the ability and confidence to report these crimes.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.