Social Services: Pay

Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy written question – answered on 29th April 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Baroness Gardner of Parkes Baroness Gardner of Parkes Conservative

To ask Her Majesty's Government what steps they are taking to check whether agencies employing careworkers are paying the costs of such workers for their travel between clients.

Photo of Lord Henley Lord Henley Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy)

Time spent travelling from one client to another counts as time worked for minimum wage purposes, and the Government is clear that everyone entitled to the National Minimum and Living Wage (NMW) should receive it. Since 2015, the Government has almost doubled the budget for enforcing the NMW to £26.3 million, a record high.

Anyone who feels they are not receiving the NMW should contact the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas), who provide free, impartial information and advice on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law. Where appropriate, Acas can pass on complaints to HMRC for enforcement; HMRC follow up on all complaints received from workers about possible NMW underpayment.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.