Electoral Register

Cabinet Office written question – answered on 15th April 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chris Ruane Chris Ruane Shadow Minister (Wales)

To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, what progress his Department has made on increasing levels of voter registration for (a) young people, (b) home movers, (c) BME individuals, (d) people with long-standing conditions or disability, (e) victims of domestic abuse and (f) homeless individuals in the last 12 months.

Photo of Chloe Smith Chloe Smith The Parliamentary Secretary, Cabinet Office, Assistant Whip

Some headline registration statistics are collated and published annually by the Office for

National Statistics, including the numbers of people registering to vote anonymously. The

latest bulletin is available at:


The Government is committed to protecting, promoting and respecting our democracy. We

PCT Checked PS Checked Spad Checked Ministerial Approval

want to build upon recent record levels of electors registering to vote and participating in

elections. One year on from the Democratic Engagement Plan the Government published

its follow up report, Democratic Engagement: Respecting, Protecting and Promoting Our

Democracy, setting out progress in 2018 and priorities for 2019 and beyond

The UK Government will help equip councils and civil society groups to improve

democratic engagement by sharing our knowledge and products, including our Suffrage

Centenary 'Educate' projects for young people; insight and solutions to tackle barriers to

electoral registration for ethnic minorities and those who are homeless or move frequently;

and by evaluating progress on student registration. We have introduced an ‘Easy Read

guide on the Register to Vote website homepage, produced in partnership with the Royal

Mencap Society, to enable people with learning difficulties to apply online without difficulty.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.