Irlen Syndrome: Medical Treatments

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 16th April 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of James Frith James Frith Labour, Bury North

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what (a) treatments and (b) support is provided by the NHS to (i) adults and (ii) children with Meares-Irlen Syndrome.

Photo of Caroline Dinenage Caroline Dinenage Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

In England, free National Health Service funded sight tests are available to eligible groups, including those under 19 and in full time education, with the purpose of detecting signs of injury, disease or abnormality and giving an individual a written prescription for glasses or referring them to a doctor for further examination. Funding is also available under the NHS voucher scheme for the provision of spectacles with a prescription power to correct a defect of sight identified during the NHS sight test. This could include a coloured tint if considered clinically necessary.

Clinical commissioning groups are responsible for commissioning services to meet the needs of their local population. This could include services over and above the NHS sight test, such as those to meet the needs of people with visual perceptual disorders.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.