Government Departments: Databases

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 15th April 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chris Green Chris Green Conservative, Bolton West

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what recent assessment he has made of the Government's development of combined interpretable data sets.

Photo of Jackie Doyle-Price Jackie Doyle-Price The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Health and Social Care

Access to comprehensive, accurate and timely data is critical to the safe, effective and efficient running of the health and social care system in England. We set out our ambition to introduce and use new technology including the innovative use of data in ‘The future of healthcare: our vision for digital, data and technology in health and care’.

Our focus is on getting the digital architecture of the health and care system right, including open standards, secure identity and interoperability, which are critical to the safe and successful use of technology, ensuring that systems talk to each other and that the right data gets to the right place at the right time.

New technologies offer great potential to support preventative, predictive and personalised care. For example, enabling data sets to be linked effectively provides the opportunity to use data-driven technologies such as artificial intelligence to help diagnose diseases or conditions and to gain better insights into treatments and preventions that could benefit all of society.

We recognise that despite recent progress and many areas of excellence the digital transformation of the health and care system is the most important change we will make over the next decade. In order to do this effectively and efficiently, we have established NHSX to bring together in one place the responsibility for driving the transformation of technology, digital and data policy and implementation.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.