Social Security Benefits: Medical Examinations

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 8th April 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mike Amesbury Mike Amesbury Shadow Minister (Work and Pensions) (Employment)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what assessment she has made of the effectiveness of her Department ensuring that (a) work capability and (b) personal independence payment assessments are undertaken by suitably qualified staff.

Photo of Justin Tomlinson Justin Tomlinson The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

Health Professionals that carry out Work Capability and Personal Independence Payment assessments on behalf of the department must have the following qualifications and experience:

• are an occupational therapist, nurse (level 1), physiotherapist, doctor or (paramedic - PIP only)

• fully registered with the relevant licensing body (doctors must have a licence to practise)

• the licensing body has not placed restrictions on the health professional's registration

• at least 2 years post full registration experience.

Health Professionals are subject to a rigorous recruitment process followed by a comprehensive training programme in disability assessment for both physical and mental health conditions and have to be approved by the department. Health Professionals are then required to complete a programme of continuing professional development.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.