Criminal Proceedings

Home Office written question – answered on 28th March 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Liz Saville-Roberts Liz Saville-Roberts Shadow PC Spokesperson (Home Affairs), Shadow PC Spokesperson (Women and Equalities) , Plaid Cymru Westminster Leader, Shadow PC Spokesperson (Justice), Shadow PC Spokesperson (Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many people have reported a crime of (a) violence against the person, (b) theft and (c) a public order offence in England and Wales and have subsequently (i) withdrawn their statement and (ii) failed to attend the relevant court hearing in each of the last three years.

Photo of Nick Hurd Nick Hurd The Minister of State, Home Department

The number of police recorded offences and their outcomes relating to violence against the person, theft and public order in England & Wales is published in the police recorded crime open data tables, which can be found here:

However, the Home Office does not hold information relating to the number of people who withdraw their statement or fail to attend a subsequent court hearing, nor for the reason for a person reporting a recordable crime and then withdrawing their statement.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.