Electric Vehicles: Bicycles

Department for Transport written question – answered on 28th March 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord German Lord German Liberal Democrat

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether electronically assisted pedal cycles categorised as EU type approved L1e-A are required to be registered with the DVLA for use in the UK.

Photo of Baroness Sugg Baroness Sugg Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport)

There is no requirement to register electronically assisted pedal cycles used in Great Britain.

However, these vehicles are currently classed as motor vehicles in Northern Ireland and must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency when used there. The use of electrically assisted pedal cycles on public roads in Northern Ireland is a transferred matter. Until the Northern Ireland Assembly re-convenes there are no plans to align the legislation.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.