Independent Child Trafficking Advocates Service

Home Office written question – answered on 21st March 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jeff Smith Jeff Smith Opposition Whip (Commons)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, with reference to his Department’s Interim Assessment of the first year of the Independent Child Trafficking Advocates (ICTA) service, what assessment he has made of the merits of expanding the ICTA scheme to all unaccompanied and separated children.

Photo of Victoria Atkins Victoria Atkins The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department, Minister for Women

The ICTA service was rolled out in three early adopter sites in Greater Manchester, Hampshire and Wales in January 2017 with an additional £2m invested to expand the ICTA provision into West Midlands, East Midlands and Croydon. This will mean the service will be available in one third of all local authorities by April 2019.

Unaccompanied children are looked after by the relevant local authority and are entitled to the same services as any other looked after child. Under these arrangements, unaccompanied children will have a professional social worker and an independent reviewing officer to oversee their care arrangements. All unaccompanied asylum-seeking children in England are referred to the Refugee Council’s Children’s Panel and they are also entitled to legal assistance in pursuing their asylum claim. The Government believes that these arrangements ensure unaccompanied children are provided with the independent and tailored support and advice that they need.

Section 48 of the Modern Slavery Act 2015, which makes provisions for ICTAs, is being considered in the Independent Review of the Modern Slavery Act led by Frank Field MP, Baroness Butler-Sloss and Maria Miller MP. The Government will carefully consider their recommendations, including any recommendations for the national rollout of ICTAs.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.