Commonwealth: LGBT People

Foreign and Commonwealth Office written question – answered on 18th March 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Dan Carden Dan Carden Shadow Secretary of State for International Development

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, to which Commonwealth states the Government is providing assistance on changes to LGBT law.

Photo of Alistair Burt Alistair Burt Minister of State (Department for International Development) (Jointly with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office), Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development)

​I refer the hon. Member to the answer of 1 November 2018 (PQ 186948). The UK-funded Equality & Justice Alliance (EJA) programme is working to create a fairer, more equal and inclusive Commonwealth for the LGBT community by supporting those countries seeking to reform legislation that discriminates on the grounds of gender identity or sexual orientation.

Several countries have expressed interest in the EJA's offer of technical assistance for legislative change. Due to the highly sensitive and sometimes dangerous nature of this work, it would not be appropriate to name specific member states.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.