Common Travel Area: Education

Department for Education written question – answered on 11th March 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Conor McGinn Conor McGinn Labour, St Helens North

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, pursuant to the answer of 19 June 2018 to Question 153188, whether reciprocal rights to study will include (a) third level education and (b) schooling; and whether those rights will cover cross-border provision across the Irish land border.

Photo of Chris Skidmore Chris Skidmore Vice-Chair, Conservative Party, Minister of State (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (Universities and Science) (Joint with the Department for Education)

Under the Common Travel Area arrangements, British and Irish citizens have the right to access all levels of education in either state on terms no less favourable than those available to the citizens of that state. Both the UK and Irish governments have committed to taking steps to ensure that this continues after the UK leaves the EU.

These rights will continue to cover cross-border provision across the Irish land border.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.