We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Carbon Monoxide: Poisoning

Foreign and Commonwealth Office written question – answered on 6th March 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Liz Twist Liz Twist Labour, Blaydon

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will (a) collate and (b) publish data on the number of Britons poisoned by carbon monoxide when holidaying overseas.

Photo of Harriett Baldwin Harriett Baldwin Minister of State (Department for International Development) (Jointly with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office), Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development)

The safety of British holidaymakers is of paramount concern to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). We provide travel advice for 225 countries and territories to help British nationals make informed decisions about foreign travel and plan for a safe trip. Our foreign travel checklist on GOV.UK and several country-specific travel advice pages contain information and advice on the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning, including a link to the Be Alarmed campaign website.

The FCO publishes annual data on consular assistance provided to British nationals worldwide, including hospitalisation cases. We also work closely with Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) and UK tour operators to understand local issues that have affected British holidaymakers. We do not collate specific data for cases of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.