We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

British Overseas Territories: Politics and Government

Foreign and Commonwealth Office written question – answered on 6th March 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrew Rosindell Andrew Rosindell Conservative, Romford

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what the Government's policy is on UK nationals running for office in the Overseas Territories.

Photo of Alan Duncan Alan Duncan Minister of State

Local governments of Overseas Territories (OTs) set their own rules on who can vote or can hold office in the OTs. In their report entitled "Global Britain and the British Overseas Territories: Resetting the relationship", the Foreign Affairs Committee (FAC) recommended that we initiate a consultation with the elected governments of the OTs to agree a plan to ensure that there is a pathway for all resident UK and British Overseas Territory citizens to be able to vote and hold elected office in territory. We will be considering this and its other recommendations and responding to the FAC in due course.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.