Department for Education written question – answered on 21st February 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Gloria De Piero Gloria De Piero Shadow Minister (Justice)

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what the cost is for an adult to re-sit a GCSE in (a) maths and (b) English language; and whether (i) funding for re-sitting is available to providers or (ii) the cost of re-sitting has to be paid by learners.

Photo of Anne Milton Anne Milton Minister of State (Education)

We provide full funding up to and including Level 2 English and maths for adults aged 19 and above, including those who are employed, who do not have a GCSE grade 4, grade C, or higher. This is a legal entitlement as set out in the Apprenticeships, Skills and Children’s Learning Act 2009. Funding for these qualifications is provided through the Adult Education Budget (AEB), paragraphs 171 to 177 of the AEB funding rules for 2018 to 2019 gives further information on eligibility and entitlements, available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adult-education-budget-funding-rules-2018-to-2019.

If a learner wants to ‘retake’ their GCSE English and maths qualification because they did not achieve a grade 4 or higher (C or higher), then we will not fund the learner to re-sit the exam only. We will, however, fully fund the learner if they complete the learning programme again before retaking the exam.

Learners wishing to ‘retake’ their English and maths qualification only, will need to approach their provider who can check with the relevant awarding organisation that private candidates are accepted and what fee will be charged.

Providers, in receipt of an AEB allocation, will receive £811 if they deliver English and maths GCSEs to adults aged 19 and above. Further information can be found via the AEB: Funding rates and formula 2018 to 2019, available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adult-education-budget-funding-rates-and-formula-2018-to-2019.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.