Guidance on responding to Parliamentary Questions, and details of ministerial responsibilities, can be found on Gov.uk. This guidance states that Ministers must:
- Adhere to the Ministerial Code
- Give relevant information fully, as concisely as possible and in accordance with guidance on disproportionate cost.
- Not omit information sought merely because disclosure could lead to political embarrassment or administrative inconvenience.
- Provide an explanation if it is concluded that information should be withheld.
- Take care to avoid answers which are literally true but likely to give rise to misleading inferences.
- Provide responses to answers as follows:
- Named Day – on the day specified
- Ordinary Written – within 5 working days
- House of Lords Written – within 10 working days