Universal Credit: Domestic Abuse

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 20th February 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alison McGovern Alison McGovern Chair, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what the process is for beginning a new universal credit application in the event of a relationship breakdown as a result of domestic violence.

Photo of Justin Tomlinson Justin Tomlinson The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

When a victim comes into a Jobcentre fleeing domestic abuse, we do everything we can to support the victim. Our primary aim is to determine the immediate priority needs for the individual. We support people by helping them to open a new claim and put in place an advance where needed, which provides access to funds in 2-3 hours. Where further or specialised support is required, we seek to establish the best approach for that individual, utilising links with local partnerships and charities. We directly liaise with these organisations immediately and agree next steps with the victim.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.