We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Immigration: English Language

Home Office written question – answered on 19th February 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Keith Vaz Keith Vaz Labour, Leicester East

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many English language test centres in the UK accept certified copies of passports for non-UK citizens who want to apply for leave to remain.

Photo of Caroline Nokes Caroline Nokes The Minister for Immigration

There are currently no Home Office English language test centres within the UK that accept copies of passports as standard, whether certified or not. Details of what documents can be accepted as proof of identity to take the approved Secure English Language Test are published on the www.gov.uk website, which sets out the Home Office position on copies:


The only exceptional circumstance which might apply is where the Home Office is holding the original document in which case separate arrangements are made with test centres to verify identity in liaison with Home Office officials.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.