Personal Independence Payment: Blackpool

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 12th February 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Gordon Marsden Gordon Marsden Shadow Minister (Education)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, how many personal independence payment assessments where a claimant had a diagnosis of a mental health disorder have resulted in no award in Blackpool; and how many of those assessments were overturned at a mandatory reconsideration or appeal.

Photo of Sarah Newton Sarah Newton The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

Since Personal Independence Payment (PIP) has been introduced, 1,670 people living in Blackpool Local Authority, whose main condition was a psychiatric disorder, have been disallowed after their case was referred to the Assessment Provider. The data the Department holds is up to September 2018. Of the 1,670 cases, 90 decisions resulted in awards being changed at the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) stage, and 130 at appeal.

Since PIP was introduced 3.7m decisions have been made in Great Britain for all health conditions up to September 2018, of these 10% have been appealed and 5% have been overturned.

The data has been rounded to the nearest 10.

PIP data includes normal rules and special rules for the terminally ill claimants, and covers new claims and DLA reassessment claims.

Data is based on primary disabling condition as recorded on the PIP computer systems. Claimants may often have multiple disabling conditions upon which the decision is based but only the primary condition is shown in these statistics.

The appeals may include decisions which are changed at MR, and where the claimant continues to appeal for a higher PIP award, are then changed again at tribunal appeal.

Claimants who have received benefit decisions more recently may not yet have had time to complete the claimant journey and progress to appeal.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.