Overseas Students: China and India

Department for Education written question – answered on 14th February 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Keith Vaz Keith Vaz Labour, Leicester East

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, how many international students in higher education from (a) India and (b) China went on to (i) post-graduate education, (ii) employment and (iii) left the UK at the end of their studies in (A) 2015, (B) 2016, (C) 2017 and (D) 2018.

Photo of Chris Skidmore Chris Skidmore Vice-Chair, Conservative Party, Minister of State (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (Universities and Science) (Joint with the Department for Education)

The department has published employment/further study outcomes for international students based on Longitudinal Educational Outcomes data in the publication, ‘Graduate outcomes (LEO): 2015 to 2016’, at the following link:


The employment outcomes categories are grouped as follows:

  • Unmatched/Activity not captured - we have no tax/benefits/further study records for these graduates in the tax year in question.
  • No sustained destination - we have a tax and/or benefits record but it does not fulfil the definition of ‘sustained employment’.
  • Sustained employment only - graduates are considered to be in sustained employment if they were employed for at least one day for 5 out of the 6 months between October and March of the tax year in question or if they had a self-employment record in that tax year. To be in the sustained employment only category, graduates must not have a record of further study in the tax year in question.
  • Sustained employment, further study or both - includes all graduates with a record of sustained employment and/or further study. A graduate is defined as being in further study if they have a valid higher education study record at any UK Higher Education Institution on the Higher Education Statistics Agency database in the relevant tax year. The further study does not have to be at postgraduate level to be counted.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.