Housing: Rural Areas

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 13th February 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Derek Thomas Derek Thomas Conservative, St Ives

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what steps his Department is taking to encourage local authorities to carry out housing needs assessments in villages that have not been allocated housing within local plans, but where there is likely to be a local need for housing.

Photo of Kit Malthouse Kit Malthouse Minister of State (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

Local authorities should identify needs throughout their area, which should inform their spatial strategy and housing numbers for areas engaged in neighbourhood planning. Neighbourhood planning groups may wish to collect additional evidence about the nature of the need in their areas, to inform any housing policies that they wish to develop.

Through Neighbourhood Planning we are empowering and supporting local communities to bring forward neighbourhood plans which allocate their own housing sites and have so far committed over £26 million to support these activities.

Where any rural exception sites are proposed by applicants, they should be informed by clear evidence of a local need for affordable homes.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.