Motor Vehicles: Insurance

Department for Transport written question – answered on 13th February 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Nigel Dodds Nigel Dodds Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Reform and Constitutional Issues), Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Foreign Affairs), Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Brexit), DUP Westminster Leader

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, which categories of motorised vehicles are exempt from a requirement to hold third party public liability insurance.

Photo of Jesse Norman Jesse Norman Minister of State (Department for Transport)

In the UK no categories of motor vehicles are exempt but there are a very limited number of exemptions for certain organisations from the requirement to hold third party motor insurance. These are set out in s144 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. In Northern Ireland the equivalent legislation is Article 90 of the Road Traffic Order 1981.

Even though these organisations do not require motor insurance they must still have in place measures to ensure that victims of accidents caused by such vehicles are fully compensated for their injuries or losses.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.