Asylum: Children in Care

Home Office written question – answered on 14th February 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Storey Lord Storey Liberal Democrat Lords Spokesperson (Education)

To ask Her Majesty's Government what steps they are taking to ensure that local authorities do not take a disproportionate number of unaccompanied asylum-seekers who are minors.

Photo of Lord Storey Lord Storey Liberal Democrat Lords Spokesperson (Education)

To ask Her Majesty's Government what financial support they give to local authorities who are responsible for unaccompanied asylum-seekers who are minors.

Photo of Baroness Williams of Trafford Baroness Williams of Trafford The Minister of State, Home Department, Minister for Equalities (Department for International Development)

The National Transfer Scheme was launched on 1 July 2016 and has been working to ensure a fairer allocation of unaccompanied asylum seeking children (UASC) across the UK. A significant number of local authorities have participated in the scheme and enabled the transfer of children away from local authorities with a disproportionate number of UASC in their care.

Since it was launched in July 2016, more than 700 unaccompanied asylum-seeking children have been transferred via the NTS. This is a significant achievement which has seen many local authorities offer placements for children whose best interests are served by transferring to another local authority. The pace and number of transfers has slowed. We will continue to engage with local authorities across the country to encourage further offers and consider options in how best to share the burden.

The government provides funding to local authorities as a contribution to-wards the costs incurred in supporting unaccompanied asylum-seeking chil-dren (UASC) and young care leavers who were UASC.

For unaccompanied children arriving from 1 July 2016, local authorities can claim £114 per day for those children aged under 16 and £91 per day for those children aged 16 or 17. More information on the funding available to local authorities supporting UASC and former UASC care leavers can be found in the funding instructions published at:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.