Overseas Students: Employment

Department for Education written question – answered on 5th February 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Catherine West Catherine West Labour, Hornsey and Wood Green

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, whether his Department has plans to improve the quality of its monitoring of the long-term employment destinations of overseas students that graduated at UK universities.

Photo of Chris Skidmore Chris Skidmore Vice-Chair, Conservative Party, Minister of State (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (Universities and Science) (Joint with the Department for Education)

The department has already taken steps to improve the recording of the long-term employment destinations of graduates. From the Longitudinal Education Outcomes data we have published the employment and earnings of higher education graduates at different points after graduation. This includes the employment and earnings specifically for international graduates who remained in the UK at 1, 3, 5, and 10 years after graduation. This information can be accessed here: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/statistics-higher-education-graduate-employment-and-earnings.

In addition to this, the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), responsible for collecting, processing, and publishing data about higher education in the UK, is enhancing the data it collects on graduate destinations. HESA’s new ‘Graduate Outcomes Survey’ will apply to 2017/18 graduates from all nations and record their location and activities around 15 months after completion of their studies. This is a longer-term view of graduate destinations than is currently available from the six-month Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education Survey. This survey will also cover graduates who moved overseas after their studies.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.