Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Palestinians: Terrorism

Department for International Development written question – answered on 23rd January 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Joan Ryan Joan Ryan Labour, Enfield North

To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, pursuant to the Answer of 11 May 2018 to Question 141671, what assessment her Department has made of whether the Palestinian Authority has resumed directly paying salaries to those serving sentences in Israeli jails for terrorist offences.

Photo of Alistair Burt Alistair Burt Minister of State (Department for International Development) (Jointly with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office), Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development)

Earlier this month a senior DFID official secured confirmation from the Palestinian Authority’s (PA) Ministry of Finance that payments are made to the Ministry of Prisoner Affairs, which then directly transfers funds to Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails and their families. The UK government continues to press the PA to reform the prisoner payments system to become more needs-based, transparent and affordable. I have raised these concerns with the Palestinian Foreign Minister, and my officials regularly do likewise. No UK aid goes to prisoner payments. UK aid to the Palestinian Authority (PA) is used exclusively to pay the salaries of vetted health and education public servants, including teachers, doctors and nurses, in the West Bank. Our money goes into a special, dedicated bank account before being paid to individuals who have been vetted in advance through the European Union Palestinian-European Socio-Economic Management Assistance Mechanism (PEGASE), ensuring UK funding is not diverted.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.