Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 9th January 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Christine Jardine Christine Jardine Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Scotland)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what steps his Department is taking to ensure sufficient stocks of insulin for people with type 1 diabetes, in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Photo of Stephen Hammond Stephen Hammond Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

Insulin is vitally important to millions of people in this country. Our contingency plans aim to ensure that the supply of insulin and other essential medicines to patients is not disrupted in all European Union exit scenarios, including in the event of a ‘no deal’ exit.

On 23 August 2018, the Department wrote to all pharmaceutical companies that supply prescription-only medicines and pharmacy medicines to the United Kingdom that come from, or via, the EU or European Economic Area (EEA) asking them to ensure a minimum of six weeks additional supply in the UK, over and above existing business-as-usual buffer stocks, by 29 March 2019.

On 7 December 2018, the Department wrote to pharmaceutical companies that supply licensed medicines to the UK from or via the EU/EEA, and/or manufacture medicines in the UK, informing them of the updated reasonable worst-case scenario border planning assumptions and asking them about their current transportation routes and their ability to re-route their supply chains if they currently rely on Dover and/or Folkestone.

We have received very good engagement from industry, including companies supplying insulin to the UK, who share our aims of ensuring continuity of medicines supply for patients is maintained and able to cope with any potential delays at the border that may arise in the short term in the event of a ‘no deal’ EU exit.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No3 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.