Children: Maintenance

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 8th January 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mike Penning Mike Penning Conservative, Hemel Hempstead

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what processes are in place to ensure that an individual who is serving in the armed forces is aware that the Child Maintenance Service is investigating a case relating to them; and if she will make a statement.

Photo of Justin Tomlinson Justin Tomlinson The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

After an initial application is received Child maintenance Group (CMG) will attempt to locate the non-resident parent (NRP). If they are in the Armed Forces a phone call will be made and a letter will be sent to where they are based informing them that they have been named in a case and asking them to contact CMG. Only if CMG receives no cooperation or contact from the NRP will a Deduction from Earnings Request (DER) be considered. If CMG know that the NRP is in the Armed Forces, CMG will contact the Armed Forces Liaison Officer to check whether the non-resident parent is on active service. If the NRP is on active service and NOT in a warzone a DER will be issued. If the NRP is in a warzone, collection action is suspended, DER action halted and the case is reviewed every 3 months. All DER requests are sent to a central MoD address.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.