Department for International Development: Migrant Workers

Department for International Development written question – answered on 21st December 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Caroline Lucas Caroline Lucas Green, Brighton, Pavilion

To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what assessment she has made of the potential merits of her Department paying the £65 application fee for settled or pre-settled status for EU nationals (a) employed by and (b) working as an outsourced worker in her Department; what estimate she has made of the total cost to her Department of paying those fees; and what assessment she has made of the risks that the EU Settlement Scheme poses to the retention of EU nationals (i) employed by or (ii) working as an outsourced worker in her Department.

Photo of Alistair Burt Alistair Burt Minister of State (Department for International Development) (Jointly with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office), Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development)

The UK Government currently does not plan to pay application fees to Home Civil Servants (HCS) for Settled Status. Outsourced workers are not DFID employees, and this will be the decision of their employers.

As at 31 October 2018, 107 Home Civil Servants (HCS) have declared their nationality as non-UK EU nationals, although this information is provided on a voluntary basis. The estimated costs to DFID of paying settled status application fees would equate to £6,955, based on this voluntary declaration.

DFID values the significant contribution made by EU citizens working for the department and we want these colleagues to continue to play a full role in the work of the Civil Service. We are committed to supporting our EU citizen employees across the Civil Service and the important engagement with EU national networks across government will continue over the coming months.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.