Chemicals: Registration

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 19th December 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Matthew Offord Matthew Offord Conservative, Hendon

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what guidance his Department has published on the steps that chemical manufacturers will be required to take to register their products with the EU in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Photo of Therese Coffey Therese Coffey The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

On 24 September we published the Regulating chemicals (REACH) if there’s no Brexit deal technical notice. This set out the Government’s contingency plans for regulation with the aim of minimising disruption at the point of exit, and provided information for businesses which need to prepare for a no-deal scenario. Building on this, we published UK REACH additional guidance if there is no Brexit deal on 4 December. This detailed guidance set out the actions businesses would need to take in a no-deal EU exit for a number of scenarios. Only ECHA can provide detailed guidance on registrations for access to the EU market on a no deal scenario but we ensured both the technical notice and additional guidance provided a clear link to the European Chemical Agency (ECHA) ‘no-deal’ guidance.

The current ECHA guidance outlines an intended mechanism by which UK companies can transfer their registrations to EU based entities in order to maintain uninterrupted EU market access. ECHA have said they will provide further detail in January 2019. We are continuing to encourage it to provide further clarity to enable UK companies to prepare.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.