Dangerous Dogs

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 11th December 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Ed Vaizey Ed Vaizey Conservative, Wantage

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, whether he has plans to legislate to provide for compensation to be payable to owners of animals in cases where the animal has been the victim of a dog attack that has resulted in substantial vet bills.

Photo of David Rutley David Rutley Assistant Whip (HM Treasury), Government Whip

A claimant can make an application to the County Court to claim money they are owed by a person or business and this is relevant to cases involving dog attacks. The Civil Procedure Rules (Practice Direction 7A How to Start Proceedings, Part 8 Alternative Procedure for Claims and Part 27 The small claims track) set out the avenues that a claimant can use depending on whether the amount being claimed is known or not known. Given it is already possible to make a claim against persons owing them money, there are no plans for further legislation in this area.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.