We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Gender Recognition: Children and Young People

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 5th December 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Kate Green Kate Green Chair, Committee on Standards, Chair, Committee on Privileges

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what training is provided for social work (a) students and (b) practitioners on gender dysphoria in children and young people.

Photo of Jackie Doyle-Price Jackie Doyle-Price The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Health and Social Care

The Gender Identity Development Service (GIDS) is a highly specialist multidisciplinary team comprising specialist social workers, family therapists, psychiatrists, psychologists, psychotherapists, paediatric and adolescent endocrinologists and clinical nurse practitioners. In addition to the training undertaken to qualify into these positions, all members of the GIDS team receive specialised training for work with children and adolescents experiencing gender dysphoria from the service, as well as regular and ongoing supervision.

The training required to work in the GIDS is different to that required by social workers employed locally in other teams. GIDS provides continuous professional development events which are attended by social workers working in local communities.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.