We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Diplomatic Service

Foreign and Commonwealth Office written question – answered on 27th November 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Derek Thomas Derek Thomas Conservative, St Ives

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what steps he is taking to ensure UK citizens overseas are able to register at UK embassies in order to receive consular support and information.

Photo of Harriett Baldwin Harriett Baldwin Minister of State (Department for International Development) (Jointly with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office), Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development)

British nationals do not need to register at British Embassies to receive consular support and information. Information about our services is available on Consular services - GOV.UK. People needing assistance can contact us by telephone 24/7 by calling the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London or a British Embassy or Consulate overseas. Our operators provide information and advice about the consular services available. Where they are unable to help the caller to resolve the issue themselves, and/or when they judge that the caller needs urgent assistance, they will pass the call to the nearest embassy, or, if the embassy is closed, to our Global Response Centre in London.

The FCO encourages people to subscribe to FCO travel advice email alerts "living in” guides, follow FCO Travel on Facebook and @fcotravel on Twitter for updates and to follow the nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate on Twitter and Facebook. FCO travel advice is updated frequently during a crisis and is often the best source of information and advice for those affected.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.