Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 15th November 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Gregory Campbell Gregory Campbell Shadow DUP Spokesperson (International Development), Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Cabinet Office)

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what steps the Government plans to take to increase food (a) production and (b) security when the UK leaves the EU.

Photo of George Eustice George Eustice The Minister of State, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

As we leave the EU we want to support farmers to grow more, sell more and export more great British food. Productivity is the key driver of long-term economic growth and prosperity. Our future agriculture policy will allow farmers to provide a supply of healthy, home-grown produce made to high environmental and animal welfare standards. The future policy will be underpinned by measures to increase productivity and invest in new technology. This will help farmers become more profitable and reduce their environmental footprint. Leaving the EU is an opportunity to boost domestic productivity through research, adoption of best practice, investment in new tools and technologies and adoption of new business models.

Further preparation for our withdrawal is continuing to be undertaken across the whole of government to consider how we best manage checks and controls in a range of scenarios. We have been very clear that when we leave the EU, we will categorically not dilute our world-leading set of standards on food safety and quality. We are committed to upholding these with robust and independent scientific and technical advice. Any products entering the UK market must meet our high standards of quality and safety.

The UK has a high degree of food security, built on access to a range of sources including strong domestic production and imports from third countries. Consumers will continue to have access to a range of different products when we leave the EU.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.