To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what was the cost was of (a) electricity and (b) natural gas used by (i) his Department, (ii) the Office of Rail and Road, (iii) the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, (iv) the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, (v) the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, (vi) the Vehicle Certification Agency, (vii) the British Transport Police Authority, (viii) Directly Operated Railways Limited, (ix) High Speed Two (HS2) Limited, (x) the Civil Aviation Authority, (xi) London and Continental Railways Limited, (xii) the Air Accident Investigation Branch, (xiii) Highways England, (xiv) the Marine Accident Investigation Branch, (xv) Network Rail and (xvi) the Rail Accident Investigation Branch, in each of the last three years for which figures are available.
The information is provided in the table below.
Table – cost of electricity and natural gas used, 2015/16 – 2017/18 (some figures rounded)
(£) Fully built up (delivered) cost unless indicated otherwise. Inclusive of VAT unless indicated otherwise.
DfT (Central Department)
British Transport Police Authority and British Transport Police (5)
HS2 Ltd (6)
London and Continental Railways Limited (7)
Highways England (9)
(1) Only the Office of Rail and Road’s (ORR) Glasgow office uses natural gas. The landlord does not provide an individual usage figure as ORR is one of many tenants.
(2) Gas/electricity component cost only.
(3) Due to a supplier billing issue, a significant proportion of gas costs from 2016/17 were paid in 2017/18.
(4) Information to verify whether the costs for Vehicle Certification Agency sites are fully built up costs or component costs only is not readily available.
(5) The figures include costs for the British Transport Police Authority and the British Transport Police as separate figures are not readily available.
(6) Figures are for calendar year. Figures are net of VAT. Some of the properties utilised by HS2 Ltd do not (or did not) have separately identifiable costs as these are (or were) included in the utilities charge, service charge or licence fee, and consequently are not included in these totals.
(7) London and Continental Railway (LCR) occupies space at One Kemble Street under a Memorandum of Terms of Occupation (MOTO) from the Government Legal Department (GLD). As part of the MOTO arrangements GLD recovers a service charge from LCR. This includes electricity and gas, but the costs and quantum used are not identifiable on an individual basis.
(8) Electricity component cost only.
(9) Electricity figures include roads lighting and other infrastructure assets throughout the Strategic Road Network.
(10) The Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) is located in Spring Place, Southampton. This building is owned by the Department for Transport and managed by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA). Utility supplies to the building are not separated out by organisation. Approximately 20% of the energy consumption for Spring Place is attributable to MAIB. The figure shown for MCA (which includes other buildings) therefore includes a proportion that could be attributed to MAIB.