Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Disability: Children

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 15th November 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Judd Lord Judd Labour

To ask Her Majesty's Government what steps they are taking to analyse (1) those elements of health and social care which need to be strengthened, and (2) those aspects of entitlements for disabled children and their families and carers which need to be clarified; and what consequent action they are taking.

Photo of Lord O'Shaughnessy Lord O'Shaughnessy The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Health and Social Care

The commissioning of health and social care services for children with disabilities is the responsibility of clinical commissioning groups and local authorities respectively. Local commissioners are best placed to assess the needs of the local population and which areas may need strengthening. Clinical commissioning groups must ensure that they secure health services to meet the needs of disabled children to a reasonable extent.

Children’s social care is the responsibility of the Department for Education. All disabled children are regarded as children ‘in need’ under the Children Act 1989 and may receive social care from the local authority. The Children and Families Act 2014 placed a duty on local authorities to assess whether a parent carer in their area has needs for support.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.