Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Yemen: Humanitarian Aid

Department for International Development written question – answered on 15th November 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Emily Thornberry Emily Thornberry Shadow Foreign Secretary

To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what assessment she has made of the compliance with (a) Article 23 of the Fourth Geneva Convention and (b) Rule 55 of the International Committee of the Red Cross’s Customary International Law Study of the restriction of supplies of food and medicine through the port of Hodeidah in Yemen.

Photo of Alistair Burt Alistair Burt Minister of State (Department for International Development) (Jointly with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office), Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development)

The UK continues to raise concerns with the Saudi led-Coalition about the potential impact of any assault on the port and city of Hodeidah and is monitoring the resumption of hostilities in and around Hodeidah closely.

As we have consistently made clear, the Coalition must ensure that any further military operations in and around Hodeidah are conducted in accordance with international humanitarian law, including on the protection of civilians and civilian infrastructure, and do not disrupt commercial and humanitarian flows both through the port and onwards across the country. For their part, the Houthis must not compromise civilian facilities (such as Hodeidah port as well as schools, hospitals and food storage facilities) and allow unhindered access to humanitarian agencies throughout areas they control.

To date, Red Sea ports remain operational and continue to import most of the food and fuel on which Yemenis rely.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.